Best BAIT to catch Mahi Mahi off Sydney ?
Mahi Mahi also known as dorado, dolphin fish or Dollies are aggressive pelagic feeders that will eat a variety of baits and lures.
The best BAITS for catching Mahi mahi off Sydney include:
- Live bait: Small fish such as Yellow Tail / Yakka's are a popular choice for catching Mahi Mahi. These baits should be hooked through the nose or behind the dorsal fin to mimic the natural swimming action of the baitfish.
- Dead bait: Mahi Mahi will also take dead bait such as squid, mackerel, or pritchard. These baits should be fished on a weighted rig or with a slow-trolling technique.
- Lures: Artificial lures such as feathers, jigs, and skirts are also effective for catching Mahi Mahi. These lures should be fished with a fast-trolling technique or by casting and retrieving.
It's also important to note that Mahi Mahi is a highly migratory species, and their feeding habits can change depending on the season, water temperature, and location. It's always a good idea to ask local anglers or charter boat captains for advice on the best bait to use in a specific area.
More About - Mahi Mahi
- Size: 7 kilograms - 15 kilograms
- Food Rating: Excellent
- Territory: Offshore
How to catch a Mahi Mahi
Catching a Mahi Mahi, also known as Dorado, Dolphin fish or Dollies , typically involves using quality fishing equipment in the right location and at the right time of year. Here are a few tips for catching mahi-mahi:
- Location: Mahi mahi is only found in warm, tropical or sub tropical waters between 22 - 27 degrees celsius. They love to hand around floating debris, logs and other types of structures such as buoys, FADS, and weed patches. They also tend to congregate around schools of baitfish, so look for areas where baitfish are breaking the surface or where birds are diving into the water.
- Time of year: Mahi mahi off Sydney are only caught during the summer months when the water is warm between [December - May]
- Technique: Trolling with lures or live bait is a common method for catching mahi-mahi. Use a trolling speed of around 6-8 knots and vary your trolling pattern to cover as much water as possible.
- Gear: Use a strong fishing rod and reel with fast retrieval action and a good drag system. We strongly recommend using a quality braid main line with a fluorocarbon leader of at least 30-40 lb.
It's also important to note that Mahi Mahi are a pelagic species, each season their behaviours change depending on water temperature, bait location and the ocean currents. Before heading out to the FAD or continental shelf, it is a good idea talk to some experienced Mahi Mahi charter operators for advice on the best techniques and baits to use.
Mahi Mahi is a highly valued sport fish for their acrobatic leaps and hard runs and beautiful on the dinner plate...
Mahi Mahi Fishing Charter Sydney
Location | Deep Sea Fishing Charters Sydney
About Us | Operating Fishing Charters Cronulla in Sydney
All at Sea Fishing Charters Cronulla - providing specialised Sydney Fishing Charters since 2002 !!
All At Sea Fishing Charters Cronulla are a proud local business that are based on the beautiful Port Hacking River within the Sutherland Shire. Our pick up and drop off point is Cronulla Public Wharf which according to Google Maps is approx 30min by road south of Sydney airport and a 300m walk from Cronulla Train Station.
With 20+ years of Charter Fishing Sydney offshore, our GPS is FULL of productive Deep Sea Fishing locations where we target species such as: Snapper, Morwong, Perch, Kingfish, Bonito and many more.
Along with Custom Fishing Charters and Corporate Fishing Charters, we offer the following standard Fishing Charter Services that anyone can book online. Click on any of the links below to learn more about each Fishing Charter Adventure
- Deep Sea Fishing Charters Cronulla in Sydney NSW (SHARED)
- Deep Sea Fishing Charters Cronulla in Sydney NSW (PRIVATE)
- Mahi Mahi Fishing Charters Cronulla in Sydney NSW (PRIVATE)
- Blue Eye Cod Fishing Charters Cronulla in Sydney NSW (PRIVATE)
- Kingfish Charters Cronulla in Sydney NSW (PRIVATE)
- Tuna Fishing Charter Cronulla in Sydney NSW (PRIVATE)
- Snapper Fishing Charter Cronulla in Sydney NSW (PRIVATE)
Each Charter is operated by an experienced and friendly crew will help you with all aspect of the fishing charter. We cater for people with ZERRO experience so please so please don't worry... we have you covered.
If you are by yourself, or only have a small group of 2-3 people, dont worry, book one of our SHARED fishing charters on Saturday and Sunday mornings.... they depart at 5.30am and return to Cronulla Public Wharf at 12.00pm.
If you have a group of 6-8 people or you just want to hire the Fishing Charter for yourself, book a PRIVATE Fishing Charter and we can customise a memorable adventure for you.
All At Sea Fishing Charters services the entire Sydney region and we supply all necessary equipment, bait and licences for all our Fishing Charters.
If you are looking for an experienced crew with clean modern vessels, we are the Sydney Fishing Charter for you !!